If you are in the market for a new home, you may be feeling a little overwhelmed, especially if this is your first time purchasing a home. First-time home buyers may need a little help knowing what to look for, and more seasoned home buyers may simply be in need of a few pointers. The following article may be able to help you out, as it outlines a few things to look for when searching for prospective new homes in Dover, DE.
What to Look For in a New Home
What to look for in a new home differs from person to person and circumstance to circumstance. There are, however, a few basics that you should be looking for in a new home to make sure you get the home that is perfect for you and your family. The following list outlines a few things to look for when searching for your new home, and can help you whether this will be your first home or your fifth.
- The worst home on a good block: This is a good pointer for first-time home buyers, as they are typically on the lookout for a good deal. When searching for a home on a strict budget, look at homes that may be in need of a lot of work, but that are in a good neighborhood and that can be restored to their original beauty. A good rule of thumb is to purchase the worst home on a nice block, so that your home is a good deal, but that you can restore it so that it is worth a lot of money when it comes time to sell.
- A lot of potential: First-time home buyers should look for homes with potential, not homes that are perfection. Even if this is not your first home, do not expect to find everything on your wish list in one home. Be open to the idea of remodeling or making small changes in order to get what you want in a home. If all of the essentials in the home are in good repair (roof, foundation, free of mold, HVAC system, etc.) and the bare bones of the home are to your liking, what is a few small projects here and there in the grand scheme of things? It is rare that you will find a home that has everything on your wish list, so be open to compromise and search for homes with potential.
- Attached garage: An attached garage is a must-have if you live in a climate that has a harsh climate. This will keep you comfortable and your car in better repair.
- Updated kitchen: A kitchen renovation will cost you the most money in a project, hands down. If you are okay with this, great. If you are looking for a home that is move-in ready, find a home that has an updated kitchen. You may not get granite countertops and brand-new cabinets, but you want a kitchen with newer appliances and an updated feel.
- Updated bathrooms: While updated bathrooms are lower on your must-have list than an updated kitchen, as they are less expensive to do yourself than a kitchen remodel, it is still a good thing to look for in prospective homes, especially if you do not have the money to fix the bathrooms up yourself. This does not mean you should pass up new homes in Dover, DE, that have run-down bathrooms, but you should make sure they are worth the value you will be paying.